Thursday, November 13, 2008

Scrap Room Tour

It's not quite all put together, and the lighting in these pictures isn't that great. But here is a tour of my new scrap room. ;)





This is my main desk area with my computer and work surface. I mostly scrap sitting down because I have bone spurs in both my feet and I can't stand on them for long periods. :( (Yep. My body is already failing me. Aw, Maaaan!)

Above my computer is a closed cabinet where my color printer is located along with photo & copy paper, disks, and other completely random stuff. :) I'm still not sure what I'm going to put in the glass cabinets to the left and right of this cabinet. Right now I have some markers in a jar, some magazine holders, and a few jars of embroidery floss that I pull down to do handstitching.


Tucked behind and to the left of my computer screen are my Wishblade (with a black/white check wishblade-cozy over it) and my Janome Sew Mini. I like having them there because they are out of the way while I work, but if I need them, they are easily pulled forward.
I create my pages on the peninsula desk. I keep my MM Tool Caddy and F.R.E.D. there. My trimmer is on the very end. This part of my desk is usually coated in all kinds of lovely kit contents. :D :D :D
Below my trimmer is a stack of drawers where I keep other tools that I use on a consistent basis . . . like paper hole punches, pop dots, cats eye chalk inks, stapler, Crop-a-dile, patterned scissors, colored doodling pens and pencils, etc.
The open glass door leads out to the hallway and allows the natural light to filter through during the day.To the right of my computer is a little cabinet that fits my regular printer. There is a little drawer above it where I keep my sketch and inspiration notebooks. The tray on the counter is where I place my notepad checklist of current assignments, sketches and calls that need immediate attention. It's also a catch-all for lots of other things that I still need to find homes for. :D
Above that is a glass cabinet, where I have tried to arrange all my "pretty" things that look good out in the open; like my flower and ribbon jars. The plastic jars are containers from Target Archer Farm's Snack Mixes/Dipped Pretzel Rods. They are a PAIN to soak the labels off of, but I like that they are plastic and are a little larger than the Making Memories ones. The two bins at the top hold blank cards and envelopes.
If you move to the right there is a floor to ceiling bank of cabinets. The top half is a cupboard where I keep all of my idea books and extra albums/projects. The Sterilite drawers contain the few embellies that I sort by Themes (Girl, Boy, Seasonal, Etc.) and a drawer of paper scraps.

Below that cupboard is my FAVORITE part of this room . . . my color and punch drawers. :D :D :D

I sort the rest of my embellies and spools of ribbon by color and place them in these drawers (since that is how I make decisions while I am scrapping). The least used colors go on the top row; orange/yellow and purple). Next down is the Green Drawer and the Blue Drawer.
Below that are the drawers I can see in while sitting in my chair and are the most used colors (although, I think I'm going to switch the red/pink row with the green/blue row . . . Hmmmm. Thinking . . . .thinking.) The black/white and brown/cream drawer are the drawers I use ALLLL the time. :D
The next two rows of drawers are my most commonly used punches and the bottom row of is an Extra Adhesive drawer and a drawer full of all my different tags.
To the right of the bank of cabinets is a little doorway where the floor steps up four inches into my Bonus room. The cabinet guys referred to this area teasingly as my sub-Craft Room. LOL! On our houseplan, this area was meant as a walk-in closet for this little odd-shaped bedroom, but I decided to make it a place with an additional work area (so my kids could play alongside me -- but out of my way) with more storage.
The countertop and floor is covered with things I haven't put away yet, so bear with me. :D I decided to set this work area at counter-height so that I could do some stand-up scrapping if I felt like it. The basket on the counter holds supplies that my children are free to dig into. (That way they stay out of my cupboards. LOL!)

To the right of the "kid desk area" are where I *think* I am going to keep my Clip-It-Ups with all my Thickers and letter stickers arranged. Right now they are in snap-close Iris containers underneath with my chipboard letters/shapes in the drawer. I kind of like them that way and am trying to decide if I am going to leave them in there sorted by color families; OR hang them all up on the Clip-It-Ups. (Pondering . . . pondering . . . pondering.)
To the left is another drawer and cabinet (oops! Forgot to take a picture of that one) that holds my chalks, colored eyelets, photo corners, etc. Basically, things I only pull out once in awhile.

Above that are some open shelves. I have my Cuttlebug on the bottom shelf (how do you like that fancy shoebox holding all the dies? LOL! I think I need to find a cuter container for those!). The shelf above that holds several Making Memories jars filled with their large sparkly glittery chipboard letters. I'm not sure if I'll ever use them! I just like the way they look sitting there on that shelf! LOL! Above that are just some random dollar containers that I have picked up here-and-there over the years. They fill the space for now. I'm sure I'll fill them up someday with more treasures. :D

Finishing off that wall is two big floor-to-ceiling cabinets. The top halves are fixed shelves. And the bottom halves are roll out drawers spaced 14 inches apart. :D
The shelves on the top are holding random stuff right now. Mostly Iris Snap-Close containers with kits, felt, mid-stream projects, mini-flowers, and rarely used punches.

I filled this bank of roll-out drawers with Cropper Hopper Vertical paper holders. The top row is all cardstock/sheet protectors. The bottom two rows I am planning to sort my kits into holders by kit company.

This side is holding random stuff right now. Mostly altered projects/ random supplies/ and finished layouts that need to be filed away after I finish unpacking.

Whew! Okay! Now to the other side of the room! Sorry, if this is getting old by now. Thanks for hanging in there with me! ;)

This is my Stamping/Painting/Messy area complete with a sink to clean up after all that stuff.

I have another counter-height workstation here so that my scrappin' friends (Hey, do you want to come this Friday? ;) ) or one of my kids can work alongside me. :D In reality, it's where I create messes and then leave them there for a few days until I *feel* like dealing with them. LOL!
Here is the sink area. The little faucet is filtered water (we are big water drinkers in this house). Below the sink is where I keep my camera and my scrappin' totes. Along the countertop I have my buttons arranged by colors in jars. Don't they look like candy? I love 'em there. Can you believe I found those jars at an import store for $1.50 ea. LOVE finding deals like that! Anyways . . .
Above the buttons is a cabinet where I plan to organize all my stamps. Right now they are kind of just thrown in there. The orange/green/blue Target document boxes are holding the few foam stamps that I deemed worth keeping. The white binders are full of acrylic stamps stuck onto plastic sheets inside page protectors. Someday soon I'm going to go through those and organize them into themes, but for now, they are randomly stuck in there. :)
The glass shelves to the left and right of the "stamp cabinet" are a work in progress. I still need to cute them up somehow, but I don't know what to do yet. Any ideas? :D

This one has some Stickles and paints stacked on a spice/rack/shelf-thingey. That's a "start", right?! LOL!

See that cute Scrapoholic sign? Sunny Kohler made that for me way back when I was a Leaving Prints Consultant Wannabe. LOL! I LOVE it though. And I think of Sunny and Karma everytime I look at it. (Mmmmwah! Love you, Sunny and Karma! ;) )

The black hearts are by Adornit. They sent me those with their Valentine papers. I painted them black thinking I would do some sort of family picture collage on them for their catalog, but then I got sidetracked onto a bunch of other cute wood letters/things they sent me and I never finished them. I will someday! :D

Curving around to the other side of the counter to the end is a display rack my dad gave me from his copy store. Right now I have my background stamps and tiny-letter stamps on there (I use those the most) as well as some small jars of brads in neutral colors. Next to that is a Pottery Barn Tool caddy with my acrylic blocks and stamp cleaner.
Underneath all that is a bank of drawers that I keep all other things stamping/messy-related. Ink pads, glitters, embossing powders, distressing tools, diamond glaze, ModPodge, foam brushes, etc. I'm thinking this might be a little too accessible for young fingers. Hmmmm. I may have to rethink that section a little. :D
Whew! And now we're back to the beginning looking back to the work area from the Stamping area.

I know I always love peeking into other people's workspaces, so thank you for letting me share mine with you. It took a lot of planning, but I am so happy with the end-result. It really is a dream workspace for me. Do you want to come over and play? :D :D :D

59 comments:

  1. Awesome scraproom, Jana! I'm sooo envious!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely, I'd love to come to your house to scrap...or just drool...thanks for the invitation! lol Your room is absolutely beautiful!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...wow....you must love to work here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana your room is amazing! It's very boutique-ish, and I love it! I'll be over tomorrow! hehe! :D Oh and thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. They mean a lot coming from you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beyond words. Actually gorgeous - just my style too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I have to add another comment. OMG - this is a dream room. Wow oh wow. And I like the idea of sorting embellies by color (things that are more generic) I am having such a hard time deciding how I want everything to be sorted. I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's it! I'm jumping on a plane and coming over!!! LOL!!! Seiously, I am green with envy! What a wonderful room. If I had a room like that I would never want to leave it! LOL!!! Have fun creating your masterpieces in that beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's amazing, and thanks so much for sharing your photos - it helps me with ideas!!!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. drool . . . drool . . . so i can take you up on that offer right? girl you have a wonderful space. i think i would shut myself up in there and just play for days on end:)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! It's stunning and a huge source of inspiration (not that I'll ever have a space like that but a girl can dream and improvise, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriousely-that room is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I so wish I would come over to play!!!! You are very blessed Jana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful room! i love your colors and your storage ideas are wonderful - have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? No kitchenette? I mean, you have a sink, but where is the bar fridge and microwave?
    I am totally kidding. That room is beyond gorgeous! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so you got my seat saved? haha!
    I showed this to John and he said you better ask her to save you a seat cause ughm wow! He was even impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely the most beautiful scraproom I've ever seen. You are one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fabulous! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful space to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ask and ye shall recieve !! Thanks for showing me the room, i told you i love this kind of stuff, and this scrap room does NOT disappoint !!!! Um, can i move in there ?! lol .... This is totally awesome, you are ONE LUCKY GIRL :) I also still havent forgotten about that email, lol .... things are settling finally. HUGS girlie :)
    XXXX
    JENN

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your space is so fabulous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would LOVE to play in your space! Although, I might be afraid I would mess it up! Sure is a far cry from our basement room with unfinished floors. But hey, the "craft" is still the same! ;)

    LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing... been waiting to see those pix. Will be sharing any other pix of the new house???

    ReplyDelete
  20. and another comment after reading the other comments... i too sort a bunch of items by color because that is how I use them and it always makes me happy to see someone else do this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love you too girl! Your room looks super fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. save me a spot next to nancy...although you might not be able to handle both of us...hehehehehe

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your room!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!!!...what an awesome room!...love all the storage and the areas you have set up...the whole room is just beautiful...

    i am worried about your camera under the sink though...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely Gorgeous!!!! I've been waiting with bated breath to see your beautiful scraproom! Thanks so much for sharing your space... you've given me some great ideas! Enjoy your little piece of heaven!

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGosh....your scrappy room is AMAZING - I am in love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jana,
    I commented earlier, but I wanted to ask if there was any way possible you could email me; I'm interested in some of your resources regarding your scraproom. I'm actually wanting to re-do my kitchen. If you happen to have the resources of your cabinets, wood floors, paint colors, granite, etc. I would greatly appreciate it! All the best in your new house! ~ Gloria
    mjrio@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jana, I'm coming over to scrap! See you in... umm... how long does it take to drive from TN to UT?! But seriously, your room is GORGEOUS! Lovely, lovely, lovely. I especially love the glass door idea! Fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. ***********THUD**********

    Someone help me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. But i am secretly worried about your camera. If that pipe leaks....eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous room! Wow!

    Hey, about the bone spurs--have you had a cortisone shot? I had bone spurs and could hardly walk--limped around for two months--finally went for a cortisone shot and it cured it IMMEDIATELY.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Debbi, It's so nice to run into people who understand the heel spur thing. They are a pain in the tail-end. Unfortunately, I've been down the cortisone shot road many times already. I had shots every few months for almost two years and didn't have much luck. The first time felt great and then my feet got used to it and it never had the same affect again. :(

    Last May I had Topaz surgery on one of my feet as an experiment to see if that would stimulate blood flow to the tendon and help some. Unfortunately, that didn't really help either. So next time I have to have them surgically remove the point on each heel. I need to do them one at a time, because afterwards I will be on crutches for four months after each one. We've been waiting until we got moved and settled, but now I need to start gearing up for it. :( :( :( Not something I'm looking forward to.

    Sorry, if that was too much info. LOL! I sure hope your feet stay well for you! ;) Thanks for thinking of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG this is the ultimate room! I could live in that room and never leave! You must have to pinch yourself to make sure it is real. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am at a loss for words!! Your room is simply fabulous. You are one lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW!! All I can say is WOW! That's a gorgeous room! I bet some beautiful layouts come out of that room! I would love to have a space like that to work in!! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful!!! And yes, I am green with envy! I do have a scrapbook area in our family room, I just need more space away from where hubby watches television! I would love to have all of your counter space, that way I could walk away from one project I am having trouble with and start another page! Awesome scraproom!!!

    My only question to you would be where you store your camera, under the sink? I have had too many leaks with pipes under sinks, both at home and at work, that I would be afraid to keep anything under the sink that I didn't want getting wet! Maybe another location would be a better place to keep something so important as your camera.

    Happy scrapping!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful room and it feels so peaceful. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bit of an overkill isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a really beautiful work space. I love the ivory-colored cabinetry and your lighting selections are wonderful.

    Great space and a pleasure to browse the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  39. your scraproom is AMAZING!!!! I wish I could have a room like that, you are a lucky girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my, your room is the most gorgeous scrap room ever!!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, Jana! This is my first time visiting your blog, and I love it! Your projects and your scraproom are fantastic. I signed up to be a follower ;)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jana
    I have to say that is a beautiful room,very organized,I would love to have a scraproom like that I would have a total meltdown LOL LOL LOL.WOO WEE you are

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW!!!!! What a room, beautiful. Can't wait to see your creations. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW! Absolutely Gorgeous!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love love love your room.
    I like the light countertops and cabinets.

    Although I did notice something that alarmed me...camera under the sink? What about a leak...I'd find a new place to park it.

    Where are all your albums in this lovely space?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Now, that is how you do a scraproom. I love how everything has it's place.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is the stuff that dreams are made of!
    You are one blessed girl, I would be pinching myself!
    Thanks for sharing pictures, I will be showing my husband and telling him to get right on it :)
    Great blog!
    :)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ummmmm, will you be my new BFF so I can use your room?!?!?!? LOL

    I absolutely LOVE this room...if I ever have the resources (and space!) to do this, I'm sooooo copying this room.

    Thanks for sharing...now I need to go wipe up my drool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Jana,
    Your room as AMAZING! I just LOVE it! I really love the paint color on the walls...it appears to be light blue. I was wondering if you would share what color it is from what paint supplier? Thanks!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am speechless!!! Now that is a craft room and a gorgeous one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow, your room is gorgeous and like a scrapper's fairy tale come true. I love all the work space and cabinet storage. I like the color of the cabinets and how some are closed off (great for all that stuff that would otherwise look like clutter) and some have glass doors (for the pretty stuff to be displayed). I like how you have some pretty things out on the counter tops but everything else put away. Nice and clean lines. However, I, like others in the comments, would seriously rethink the storing of my cameras under the sink. I have had way WAAAAY to many leaks from faucets and drains to store anything of that much value there. And those kinds of leaks are the kind that usually happen but you don't realize it for days. Also, looks like it would be too accessible for small hands that just naturally love anything with buttons! Other than that, I love your room. What time do you want me there on Friday? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi, Jana! I'm Renee hailing all the way from Brunei. I found your blog through Scrapbook Trends. My jaw dropped as I was scrolling down the post. OMG!!! Every crafter's dream. I even shared your post on FB. I hope you don't mind. MY fellow local scrappers were green with envy. I even showed to my hubby. Told him, I want my scrap room to be similar to yours since we are in the process of constructing our home in the near future. I was like "I want a dedicated workspace like this. It's not necessary to have 'bonus' room but it would be nice too... hehehe". I have bookmarked this link for future references. I think your room is the best so far. Please do post more of your room from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh My Goodness - you have such a lovely scraproom. I'm so jealous even though I have a room for all my stuff too, just not as big or well set up. I found your blog from karen-somewhereovertherainbow.blogspot. I agree that it's the best scraproom. Now I'm off to see the rest of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am so jealous. I cannot wait to do my room over, but I guarantee it won't be as clean as yours. lol.
    I'm planning on purple and black. *fingers crossed* Hopefully it will turn out good!

    Fabulous job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Beautiful. Love all the storage and work stations.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Totally perfect for your current life-state. Congrats on your move and I hope it is a dream!black baseball cap

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to My New Blog

Just wanted to pop in here to let you know that you can now SUBSCRIBE to my new blog by clicking on the link below. Subscribe in a reader ...